What is Persona® The Personalized Knee by Zimmer Biomet?
A successful total knee replacement depends on proper implant design and orientation, secure implant fixation, reestablishment of normal lower extremity alignment, and adequate soft tissue balancing and stability. Persona® The Personalized Knee by Zimmer Biomet is designed to assist the surgeon achieve these objectives by providing a customized implant, specifically designed to match the unique size and shape of each patient’s knee.
The Persona® knee replacement system provides a wide range of component sizes, shapes, and constraint alternatives to accomplish optimized component fit and soft tissue balancing and helps to establish proper alignment to knee anatomical markers, allowing the precise orientation and placement of instruments and implants.
A total knee replacement is a surgical procedure in which the damaged or worn out articulating surfaces of the knee joint are removed and replaced with a state-of-the-art Persona® The Personalized Knee system that is comprised of uniquely designed femur, tibia, and patella components with provisions to make adjustment cuts if needed later.
Anatomy of the Knee
The knee is made up of the femur (thighbone), the tibia (shinbone), and the patella (kneecap). The lower end of the thighbone meets the upper end of the shinbone at the knee joint. A small disc of bone called the patella (kneecap) rests on a groove on the front side of the femoral end. A bone of the lower leg (fibula) forms a joint with the shinbone. The bones are held together by protective tissues, ligaments, tendons, and muscles. Synovial fluid within the joint aids in the smooth movement of the bones over one another. The meniscus, a soft crescent-shaped area of cartilage between the femur and tibia, serves as a cushion and helps absorb shock during motion.
Indications for Persona® The Personalized Knee by Zimmer Biomet
Some of the common indications for Persona® The Personalized Knee by Zimmer Biomet include:
- Arthritis of the knee joint
- Knee deformity with loss of cartilage and pain
- Injury or fracture of the knee
- Instability of the knee
- Significant pain, swelling, and stiffness affecting mobility and quality of life
- Failed non-surgical treatment
Preparation for Persona® The Personalized Knee by Zimmer Biomet
Preoperative preparation for Persona® The Personalized Knee by Zimmer Biomet may involve the following steps:
- A thorough examination is performed by your doctor to check for any medical issues that need to be addressed prior to surgery.
- Depending on your medical history, social history, and age, you may need to undergo tests such as blood work and imaging to help detect any abnormalities that could compromise the safety of the procedure.
- You will be asked if you have allergies to medications, anesthesia, or latex.
- You should inform your doctor of any medications, vitamins, or supplements that you are taking.
- You may need to refrain from medications such as blood thinners or anti-inflammatories for 1 to 2 weeks prior to surgery.
- You should not consume any solids or liquids at least 8 hours prior to surgery.
- Arrange for someone to drive you home during discharge from hospital.
- A signed informed consent form will be obtained from you after the pros and cons of the surgery has been explained.
Procedure for Persona® The Personalized Knee System by Zimmer Biomet
Prior to the knee replacement surgery using Persona® The Personalized Knee system, several MRI scans are taken to understand the specific anatomy of the affected knee joint. Based on the MRI images, your surgeon plans the surgery and calculates the cutting measurements, which help your surgeon to remove the exact amount of bone, at specific angles. This customized cut provides better implantation, more reliable alignment, and removal of less amount of bone.
The surgery is usually performed under general anesthesia, and in general, involves the following steps:
- A surgical cut is made over the knee using special instruments to expose the knee joint.
- Supporting structures of the knee are gently moved out of the way, allowing removal of damaged cartilage and bone tissue from the surfaces of the femur and tibia.
- Your surgeon prepares these surfaces appropriately and Persona® The Personalized Knee components by Zimmer Biomet that are uniquely designed to fit the patient’s specific knee anatomy are placed into the knee joint and secured with the use of bone cement.
- With all the new components in place, the knee joint is tested through its range of motion.
- All surrounding tissues and structures are restored to their normal anatomic position and the instruments are withdrawn.
- Finally, the incisions are closed with sutures and sterile dressings are applied.
Postoperative Care and Recovery
In general, postoperative care instructions and recovery after knee replacement using Persona® The Personalized Knee system may involve the following steps:
- You will be transferred to the recovery area where your nurse will monitor your vital signs as your recover from the effects of anesthesia.
- You may notice some pain, swelling, and discomfort in the knee area. Pain and anti-inflammatory medications are provided as needed.
- Antibiotics are also prescribed to address the risk of surgery-related infection.
- You are encouraged to walk with assistance as frequently as possible around the bed to prevent the risk of blood clots.
- Keep the surgical site clean and dry. Instructions on surgical site care and bathing will be provided.
- You will be placed on crutches for the first few weeks with instructions on restricted weight-bearing.
- You are advised to keep your leg elevated above the heart level for a defined period while resting to prevent swelling and pain.
- Refrain from smoking as it can negatively affect the healing process.
- Eating a healthy diet rich in vitamin D is strongly advised to promote healing and a faster recovery.
- Refrain from strenuous activities and lifting heavy weights for the first couple of months. Gradual increase in activities over a period of time is recommended.
- An individualized physical therapy protocol is designed to help strengthen your knee muscles and optimize knee function.
- You will be able to resume your normal activities in a couple of months; however, return to sports may take 6 months or longer.
- A periodic follow-up appointment will be scheduled to monitor your progress.
Benefits of Persona® The Personalized Knee System by Zimmer Biomet
Some of the benefits of Persona® The Personalized Knee System include:
- Minimal risk of dislocation
- Minimal implant wear
- Highly durable
- Minimal soft-tissue damage
- Precision in component positioning
- Minimal pain
- Faster recovery time
- Improved knee stability
- Improved surgical outcome and patient satisfaction
Risks and Complications
Persona® The Personalized Knee system is a relatively safe procedure; however, as with any surgery, some risks and complications may occur, such as the following:
- Postoperative pain
- Damage to adjacent soft-tissue structures
- Thromboembolism or blood clots
- Leg length discrepancy
- Implant fracture/failure
- Need for revision knee replacement